Sunday, March 29, 2020

Another week of mostly staying in bed…

I follow this really cool site on Facebook called Dahr Man, he has a bunch of really good videos with great lessons on human kindness. Today he posted this and it really made me think…

Think about one of the darkest days of your life in the past. Remember how painful that was? Remember thinking that you'll never get through it? Well, you did. You've survived 100% of your bad days so far, and this time will be no different!

I was thinking about it and I thought the darkest days of my life were when I was in an automobile accident in May 1980… I had a lot of injuries but was back up and around in a month. Then I got in another automobile in March 1995 that paralyzed me from the chest down. Since then I have learned to try to be nice to everyone and live every day like it's your last.

Monday was a great day! Karen came in and we did some personal care and a nice long hot bath after she fed the boys and fed me. She got me dressing up in my chair and we took the boys for a cruise over to Depot Park and back, it felt so good to be out but for some reason, I was nervous the whole time. I felt like I was in one of those movies where there was a catastrophe and everybody locked ourselves in the bomb shelter, just looking around and seeing no people or cars and the nervousness. We cruised back and Karen left and the boys and I just cruised around the yard, we came in for a while and I watch TV and waited for Rosa. She came in and put me to bed and made me some pork tacos from the meat that Heather made, it was so delicious! I feel so thankful to have Heather to cook for me, we have been friends for a long time and she knows me probably better than anybody. No matter what she's always here to take care of me. I thought getting out would help me with my restlessness and help me sleep but it didn't. My mom is really sick so I'm worried about her, staying in bed gives me way too much time to think about things and what could happen. Even my medical chocolate and my lorazepam couldn't calm me down enough to get some rest. I watched TV for most of the night, listen to music and thought about every single little thing in the world.

Tuesday was another pretty good day. Cindy came in and fed the boys and then Yukio from the Woofpack came to get them for the puppy play date, dude just needs a big wide open space to run around like a nut… He has so much energy. Adriana and Adela came in and they and Cindy went outside to do some more decorating along the fence, I can't believe how incredibly beautiful it's turning out to be! I found a big metal lighthouse sculpture and Omar is going to paint the fence behind it, drill a hole and put a marble where the light is supposed to be so when the sun comes through it will look really cool. I stayed in bed and watch TV and listen to an audiobook on audible. While the girls were outside my mom called and asked if she could get somebody to come up and help her so I texted Adriana and she went up. While she was up there Kelly came up to bring my mom's prescriptions. Everybody went home and I tried to relax and sleep a little bit but I just can't sleep. I just watch TV and listen to music. Rosa came in and fed the boys and then fed me, I was so hungry tonight I just didn't want to stop eating. Rosa went upstairs to check on my mom and see if she needed anything and she said she was doing better. I played some games and tried to turn everything off and see if I could go to sleep, let's see if this works.







Wednesday was another long and relaxing day. I decided not to have Susan come in, I guess I'm more paranoid than even I thought I was about having people around. Karen came in and fed the hungry crew and we did some personal care and a nice long hot bath, I thought about getting up, in fact, I even planned on it but I just couldn't do it, the thought of just sitting around the house in my chair just makes me uncomfortable. I'm not a real big fan of the telephone so Karen said that one Good Way to pass the day would be to talk to somebody on the phone, maybe I can get used to it and it would just be a normal thing like it is for everyone else. My nephew texted my mom and I a couple of days ago and said that he was going to call so I thought maybe that would be a good place to start, it would be really nice to catch up and see how everybody in Oregon is doing. I haven't been able to sleep hardly at all is very frustrating, sometimes I fall asleep in the morning while my caregiver is here but these days not even… I'm just wondering how long I can go without sleep before I just knocked out for days. Rosa came in and fed the hungry boys and then fed me, the girls have been going upstairs and checking on my mom and she seems to be doing a lot better. Adriana took her to the doctors yesterday and she looks like she's on her way back. Rosa vacuumed and cleaned the dog beds, they needed it really bad. We used to do it once a week but I don't know how we got out of the habit. She washed and dried some clothes for my mom and then went on her way home. I watch TV, dozed off once or twice and then listen to some music.

Thursday was a pretty good day. Karen came in and after she fed the hungry boys she fed me and got me up in my chair to ride my exercise cycle, I always feel really good after and I almost stayed up in my chair but I decided to just go back to bed… I could just cruise up and down the driveway and through the house but I guess I'm just not ready yet. I listen to music, play games and watch TV most of the day. Joy came in to take Dude for a cruise, I am just so glad but at least the boys can get out and burn some energy… I think I'm going to try to get up tomorrow and have Sara come in early. Rosa came in and fed the hungry boys and then fed me, she checked on my mom and made some Jell-O and then went home. I can't wait to be back up in the saddle again but I don't want to do it prematurely and make a mistake, apparently, people that have the coronavirus are spitting on people who don't… I even saw a couple people from an elevator camera that spit on the buttons or lick their hands and wiped them on there. What is wrong with people? I watched more TV, listen to more music and played some more games. I finally found a place online where I could play cribbage.

Friday was another relaxing day. Karen came in and fed the hungry crew and we did some personal care and a nice long hot bath, I have to admit it feels really good to take a bath and then go back to bed… I'm starting to relax more. I don't think I've ever stayed in bed this long before without having a pressure sore, I am just really nervous about getting up and going outside right now. I ended up listening to music and playing games online most of the day. Joy came by to take Dude out so he won't go crazy. Sara came in and went to the store to get me some fruit and some stuff for salads, I was going to try to get up so I can also go but I ended up just staying in bed. I played cribbage for a while and listen to music, I just can't sleep and it really makes me nervous plus its way too much time to be staying in bed and not being able to sleep.

Saturday was another relaxing day. Cindy came in to feed the boys and to feed me. Adriana came in and helped my mom with her laundry and to clean a little upstairs, she also went to the store to get her a few things.  Robby and Dude went to the puppy play date with the Woofpack, they send me pictures throughout the day and the boys always have a blast… Dude gets to run around and play and I think it's really good for him right now. I started feeling really tired today and it was hard to keep my eyes open I wanted to at least keep them open until the girls left. I took a couple of gabapentin because my arms were hurting from riding the bike yesterday and I actually fell asleep for a couple of hours, I woke up really groggy and couldn't keep my eyes open but I loved it. Fred texted me to see how I was doing, he and his wife are stuck in the back house across the street. It brought back memories of going to lunch with him and his wife on the wharf, I can't wait to do it again. Sara came in and fed the boys and then fed me, there wasn't much else to do so she went home. The rest of the evening I just wrote in my blog, I really have to think of things to say because nothing has really changed these days and no pictures. I watched TV for a while,  There's a show called the last man standing with Tim Allen, I used to watch a show called home improvement… He so funny, he looks and acts like my dad… The same humor and everything. I was actually sleepy and eventually, I fell asleep listening to music.

Sunday was a really long day. Cindy came in and fed the boys and then fed me.  Adriana came in to help my mom upstairs for a while and then she came down and shortened the dog's toenails. She got me dressed and up in my chair and Karen came over to show Cindy how to put on the electrodes and hook me up to my exercise cycle. I rode my FES exercise cycle again today, it was incredible! I'm going slow, I do six minutes with my legs, four minutes with my arms and then another six minutes with my legs and so far no signs of a pressure sore. The stimulation on my legs did give me a stomach ache, cold chills, and a headache so after the girls put me back to bed we did some personal care but after several hours we were unsuccessful so we just gave up and she set me back up in bed. Just as he was setting me back up to my computer Sara came In, the day went by really fast. Sara got me something to eat. I was laying in bed and I could hear a reminder from Alexa to lock Dude in his kennel, just as she said it Dude stood up from the floor and went into his kennel… How brilliant is that?? Dude is so smart and seems to always know what I want/need. When I take him out for a really long cruise I usually come back and have Dude tug the bedroom door open so Robby can come in so we can go outside to go potty, one day I came in and just tilted back in my chair and forgot but I kept hearing this rattling so I looked up and Dude was opening the bedroom door for Robby to come in... That is so amazing! This morning while I was riding my exercise cycle I heard Robby come down the hall towards my door and Dude stood up and ran over there and opened the door for him, it just gives me chills! Sara cleaned up and then went home. I watched TV for a while and then wrote in my blog and Adriana came by at 11:30 PM to let the dogs out for one final time. Such a wonderful family! I watched TV for a while and eventually drifted off to sleep.

1 comment:

betty said...

Tammie when I can't sleep I listen to an audible book online or a boring podcast. Within minutes I am asleep lol. I hope your mom feels better soon.

Betty