Monday, October 24, 2011

Getting closer and closer...

Monday I stayed in bed again. I got a nice long hot bath and that felt great, I’m not as anxious about staying in bed anymore... getting used to and I guess but I can’t wait to get up and out again. The visiting nurse today was Brigitte and it was really great to see her, she was my visiting nurse two years ago when I got out of Seton and was nursing my pressure sore. I didn’t sleep much but I was very comfortable. I decided to switch sleeping on my sides during the day and lay on my back that night, but I have to lay flat. My body is getting really tired of being on my side and after a couple of hours I’m starting to sweat and get really uncomfortable.

A Dog’s Plea
Treat me kindly, my beloved friend, for no heart in all the world is more grateful for kindness than the loving heart of me.
Do not break my spirit with a stick, for although I should lick your hand between blows, your patience and understanding will quickly teach me the things you would have me learn.
Speak to me often, for your voice is the world’s sweetest music, as you must know by the fierce wagging of my tail when your footsteps falls upon my waiting ear.
Please take me inside when it is cold and wet, for I am a domesticated animal, no longer accustomed to bitter elements. I ask no greater glory than the privilege of sitting at your feet beside the hearth. Keep my pan filled with fresh water, for I cannot tell you when I suffer thirst.
Feed me clean food that I may stay well, to romp and play and do your bidding, to walk by your side and stand ready, willing and able to protect you with my life, should your life be in danger.
And, my friend, when I am very old, and I no longer enjoy good health, hearing and sight, do not make heroic efforts to keep me going. I am not having any fun. Please see that my trusting life is taken gently. I shall leave this earth knowing with the last breath I draw that my fate was always safest in your hands.
Author Unknown

Tuesday nothing has really changed, still in bed but getting closer to getting up. Teresa brought some pork tacos and they were awesome. Brigitte, a visiting nurse that came to see me two years ago came to see me again... it was really great to see her.

Wednesday I kind of expected see a visiting nurse but no one called, I want them to tell me that I can get up in my chair for a least a couple of hours... I would be out of your and enjoying the beautiful weather we have been having. We use the electrodes on my back, my butt and my legs. I’m trying to do ever I can to get back into shape for driving my chair. Also doing neck and arm exercises. I will be ready when the time comes.

Thursday was just another day in paradise. Teresa noticed the night before that Robby has a bunch of sores on his belly so we decided we’d better take him to the vet first thing in the morning. Usually they let us drop him off and they will call us when it’s time to get him but they made Karen wait there while they ran a bunch of tests. Is that right levels are low and he was a little bit dehydrated, this puppy drinks a TON of water. They had already tested it before I wanted to test it again and then thinking about putting him on allergy shots... $400 later Karen came back just in time to go home. Teresa got here just as Karen was leaving. Kathy, the wound care nurse called and said she was on her way and the rotor router guy came to fix the sink. Kathy didn’t really give me any indication when I can start getting up for a couple of hours so I guess I just wait and see. I’m waiting for a good clock so I can order some night owl cookies, they come nice and warm and they are so good.

"I RESCUED A HUMAN TODAY" 

Her eyes met mine as she walked down the corridor peering apprehensively into the kennels. I felt her need instantly and knew I had to help her.

I wagged my tail, not too exuberantly, so she wouldn’t be afraid. As she stopped at my kennel I blocked her view from a little accident I had in the back of my cage. I didn’t want her to know that I hadn’t been walked today. Sometimes the overworked shelter keepers get too busy and I didn’t want her to think poorly of them.

As she read my kennel card I hoped that she wouldn’t feel sad about my past. I only have the future to look forward to and want to make a difference in someone’s life.

She got down on her knees and made little kissy sounds at me. I shoved my shoulder and side of my head up against the bars to comfort her. Gentle fingertips caressed my neck; she was desperate for companionship. A tear fell down her cheek and I raised my paw to assure her that all would be well.

Soon my kennel door opened and her smile was so bright that I instantly jumped into her arms.

I would promise to keep her safe.
I would promise to always be by her side.
I would promise to do everything I could to see that radiant smile and sparkle in her eyes.

I was so fortunate that she came down my corridor. So many more are out there who haven’t walked the corridors. So many more to be saved. At least I could save one.

I rescued a human today." ~by Janine Allen

Friday was massage Day and boy did I need it after being stuck in bed for over two weeks. Unfortunately my massage therapists is going on vacation for two weeks so I don’t know if I should ask somebody else or just skip it, I’m really hoping that I’m out of here by Friday.

Saturday was pretty much the same thing except I got to take a nice long hot bath. I can’t wait to get out and cruise around even if it’s only for a couple of hours.

Sunday Karen brought Juno and Lucy, her two cats, so that Teresa could cut their toenails. Teresa made a ravioli lasagna and some garlic bread, it was the best thing I have had for a long time.

1 comment:

betty said...

Never had pork tacos, but they do sound good! Poor Robby! Koda is having lots of itching, I think allergies are kicking up with him too!

betty