Saturday, June 27, 2009

Bands on the beach...

Last year I only made it to one of the concerts on the beach and I swore that this year I was going to go to all of them. I remember last year I went an hour early so that I would be sure to get a good seat. When I got there a lady in a scooter had placed eight magazines on the ground in two rows and said that I could not sit in any of the places that had a magazine, I was so frustrated and I couldn’t believe it. The first concert I went to, last Friday, I decided to go two hours early to be sure that I would get a good seat and sure enough guess who was there? She had a bunch of empty wheelchairs, a cooler and a couple of pairs of gloves laid out on the ground and although I was very angry there was a place for me to sit so I didn’t say anything. Tonight I had just had enough. This time I got there she had about 10 Ziploc bags with Rice in them and it took up more than half of the space available for disabled people. I started to drive over a couple of the bags and she said “I am saving these places for people who are in wheelchairs”... what did she think this thing was that was under my butt?? I told her that it really was not fair and that she couldn’t do that but she just totally turned her head and ignored me and started talking to her friend so I decided after the concert I was going to go talk to somebody in security and this is not going to happen again, I was afraid that if I left to go find somebody in security there would not be any places when I got back. One of the security guards walked through to usher out a gentleman who wandered into the area to take pictures and stepped on one of the bags of rice and almost twisted his ankle and then just stepped over it and walked away. I’m assuming that he really didn’t realize what was going on. After the concert I went into the security office and ran into a lady that I have talked to a couple times before. When I had Brodie I used to have to register her as a service animal before I can take her on the boardwalk. Luckily she remembered me and I told her the situation and she said that was not right and that they would make sure it didn’t happen in the future. That made me feel better. I felt bad for all of the people that were not in this ladies CLUB or what ever that were squeezed in at the very end, it was not very much room left at all. Luckily the concert was AWESOME and I got my turkey leg, garlic fries and Mike’s lemonade so I really did have a good time.

It looks like today is going to be a beautiful day and the morning glories on my fence are blooming. I’m going to go cruise around the wharf and then see what’s going on downtown.

I love going down to the wharf. There is a guy there that fishes primarily to feed the pelicans. They don’t seem to pay much attention to the other people fishing on the wharf so they must know him. As soon as he starts reeling in a fish they walk along the rail and jump on the ground next to him. The people around really get a kick out of it and they love to take pictures, they are very interesting creatures.

I didn’t realize until I got down to the boardwalk that there were three major things going on. Heather had told me that they had about 6000 people that she was cooking for at the Coconut Grove inside and out. They did hot dogs, veggie burgers and ribs. They also had a major volleyball tournament and they had Woodie on the Wharf. The first two are pretty self explanatory but the third one was a bunch of old cars that had paneling all over the outside, they were pretty cool. I wandered around for a while and then I found a couple of pictures that I wanted and of course I forgot to bring my wallet so I came home, got my wallet and went back to get the pictures. I think my favorite part when the boardwalk and the wharf are so crowded is watching the people, I could sit there and watch them for hours. My least favorite part is trying to get through the crowds in my chair.

1 comment:

betty said...

I'm glad the people at the concert are going to try to do something to prevent that lady from saving those spots. It seems the policy should be first come, first serve. I don't think she should have been rude to you either when you were trying to get there early to find a spot to view the concert. Let us know what happens with it.

sounds like an exciting time though with the concert and watching the grounds; I'm a people watcher too, always interesting for sure to see what people do

betty