Wednesday, April 14, 2010

A busy month...

I remember the first time I was in Arizona and I saw a Road Runner, I was so disappointed. They are not really big purple birds whose feet spin around so fast all you can see is a big circle and they don’t say “beep beep”... I think that’s about the only thing I ever believed while watching cartoons. I’m so glad that I got that out of my system, it’s been bugging me for a long time.

The adaptive yoga class last Wednesday was great, I’m glad that I went and I can’t wait to start going regularly. The only part that bothers me is that the instructor wants to eventually put me on the ground and I’m really not comfortable with that, she says that we will wait until I am comfortable with it but I don’t think that’s going to happen. Being on the ground is very frustrating and confining for me. Not to mention the fact that it takes my caregivers about an hour to get me comfortable in my chair and make sure that there is no wrinkles behind me, it doesn’t take very much to start our pressure sore. I have an SP tube, a tube that goes directly into my bladder through my stomach, and whenever I laid down and start backing up and ends up over the front of my clothing. Next she brings it up I will just have to explain to her situation. I wanted to ask my therapist what she thought about it and she agrees it is not a good idea. Other than that I’m really going to love it, everybody is so nice and so helpful.

It sounds like we are ready to get the new support group going. Roger e-mailed me before I had my surgery and told me that they were ready but I had to tell him that I wasn’t going to be around for a while. I e-mailed him and told him that I am back to my old self and ready to help in any way that I can. He forwarded my e-mail to one of the occupational therapists at Dominican rehab and she said she had a list of about 40 people and she would e-mail them and see how many would be interested, I am so excited about getting this started.

Robby and I signed up for the Human Race. Every year some college kids get together and raise money for a nonprofit organization and this year they chose Canine Companions for Independence.

Robby is so smart. I had a doggie door put in because I live alone and he needs to go to the bathroom sometimes when there’s nobody around. He has a little magnet on his collar that activates the door so only he can activate it, no squirrels or raccoons can sneak in. Sometimes he will walk up to the door and it will open and close before he can decide that he really wants to go outside. He has learned that if he turns his head to one side and then back it will open the door again...how smart is that??

1 comment:

betty said...

love that doggy door, Tammie; hadn't heard of one of those like that with the magnet that controls who goes in and out of it. Robby is indeed one smart dog! I'm with you; I wouldn't want to do anything that you know will be uncomfortable for you or that you are not comfortable with (being on the floor). Hoping the therapist will see your point about this and not push the issue

betty