Friday, January 9, 2009

Saying goodbye to TueTue...

Wednesday morning my mom brought TueTue down and just looking at her broke my heart. She couldn't lay down, she was wobbly back-and-forth, her heart was beating really fast and she had a scared and sad look in her eyes, she just wasn't herself. My mom took her up to the vet and they said that her lungs had filled back up with fluid and her kidneys were shutting down. After thinking about it all day and talking to the vet my mom decided to keep her there and let them euthanize her. I was so sad I didn't know what to do with myself but then I kept remembering the look on her face and I know she's better off. It's amazing how many things remind me of her now that she's gone... giving Brodie a treat, looking over at Brodie's bed because that's where she liked to lay, every time I go in the living room I look up the stairs and I don't see her cute little face. It's going to hurt for a long time.
I thought about staying in bed yesterday because I was so sad but I'm glad that I didn't. I keep looking over at the door and I can imagine seeing TueTue waddling through with her tail wagging, she always came down in the morning because the morning caregiver gave them both a treat when she left. Their favorite treat for some reason is a banana chip with a piece of chicken jerky wrapped around it... go figure. Today they started on the overhanging for my mom's balcony. They said that that, the deck, pouring in the concrete and building the fence in the front yard would only take two weeks. She had to move her birds away from the window because the noise was scaring them, she has three cockatiels and an African Ringneck parakeet. I'm really glad that I got up because I got to go over and see the progress on my uncle and aunt's place, it is so gorgeous.
Today I think is going to be another boring day. I can't really go very far because of Brodie but that's okay. The knot on her leg is getting really big but she doesn't seem to be limping anymore. The other day she was flinging around one of her toys, a rope with a knot tied at each end, and she hid herself and you couldn't really tell that it hurt.

2 comments:

Linda :) said...

I'm sorry about Tue Tue....
Gentle hugs.....

betty said...

oh Tammie, I'm so sorry about TueTue; I know you and your mom must be so sad; but I totally agree when they are suffering like that we can't hold on to them just because we can't part from them :(

on a plus note, I'm glad the remodeling/construction is going well

betty