Monday, November 3, 2014

We got a little bit of rain but so far it's still nice outside…

 Monday was a pretty good day, I got to get up and get out of bed. I didn't think I was going to make it because of personal care problems but Karen did it and I was up by 10 AM. Robby and I cruised through the lagoon and then down to my dentist office for a teeth cleaning, I go every three months. The doctor looked at my teeth and dental hygienist cleaned them and they both said the same thing "you need to brush better on the inside in the back where the teeth meet the gums and you need to floss more often" each time I go to see the dentist I start flossing every morning and every night but for some reason I'm in too much of a hurry to get out of here what I can so I skip it, no more this time I swear… We cruise down to the wharf and went out to the end of it and back and then just came home, practiced a few commands and then just sat out in the sun for a while. Rosa came in and put me to bed and for some reason I had a headache, I don't get headaches very often, so I took lorazepam and put on my sleep apnea machine and fell asleep… I woke up at 6 AM feeling better.

Tuesday was another day in bed. The nurse had told me last week that I could get up and that giving up is good for your mental health but then today she realized that I can't just get up for a couple of hours and go back to bed, I don't have somebody for about six hours after I get up so it's back to bed rest on my side for a couple more days. Everything looked like it was healing up really well and all the sudden a blood blister came up from underneath. It was explained to me that the deep injury is way underneath your skin, caused by usually bony prominence, and then surfaces and then heals. The place where the blood blister came up is where there was a really bad bruise and I thought it had gone away. After lender's came by the social worker came by and gave me a couple of good referrals and some great suggestions. The nurse will be back on Monday and the social worker will be back on Tuesday.  I found a couple of really cute pictures of Robby when we were on our road trip from Santa Cruz to Florida, one is at Mardi Gras, one is at the Grand Canyon and the other one is at the roadkill Café. Julie from Dominican home health came by today and it was so great to see her, she is always so busy so I don't get to see her as much as I would like. She has a brown lab named Kona that she trained for a service animal. She not only does home health but she's also involved with ALSA and has been super busy since the ALS bucket challenge has brought such awareness.

Wednesday was another boring day, yes I'm stuck in bed again… It looks like I will be stuck in bed at least through the weekend. I'm hoping that I can get up on Friday for a couple of hours but we will see, healing my pressure sore is more important. The physical therapist came from VNA and gave me some helpful exercises to stretch out my neck and shoulders and he's going to come back next week after the massage therapist is done to see if I'm still really tight and to show us some low-key range of motion exercises that we can do while I am still stuck in bed.  My mom came and watched a movie with me, it was Patty Dukes very first role in the miracle worker, it was as good and tearjerking as I remembered. Rosa came in and put me back on my butt, I have been laying on my side all day. My body is getting really tired of being on my side, tomorrow I'm going to try the other side. Probably some of the reason why I am so sore and tense is because I'm spending so much time on my side but I just want to get rid of this pressure sore, it's a vicious circle.

Thursday was more of the same, stuck in bed and on my side. The good news is that everything is looking better, once again… I watch TV most of the day and just try to relax, thinking about how much fun I was going to help tomorrow cruising around downtown. Lisa came in and did some personal care anymore watching TV at night. For some reason I couldn't sleep. Sometimes when I get tired of the TV and like to go online and look at pictures of Santa Cruz, I just love it here and I will never get tired of looking at scenery pictures of this area.

Friday was a pretty good day. I wanted to get up late so I can stay up late and everything worked out perfectly. Karen got me up and got me ready for Halloween, she did a great job and will be finding glitter until next year. Teresa came by and we went downtown to go eat dinner. It wasn't as crowded downtown as it usually is and there were not a lot of bands, relate to cruise around and listen to the bands after we eat dinner but we ended up just eating dinner and then coming back, low back here by 9 PM. Almost all of the candy was gone and only a few pieces on the ground, I think the kids get scared and throw the candy when the electrocution guy starts screaming behind them, it's motion activated. Shauna came and put me to bed and I think I was out almost immediately.

 Saturday it was back to being stuck in bed again but it was so nice to be able to get out last night and the rain stopped while we were downtown. Omar came back from vacation looking rested and relaxed, it was really nice to see him. Karen stayed the night here because she worked this morning for Lisa. Shauna came in and fed Robby and I and that was about it for Saturday.

Sunday I just had to get up because both Robby and I were getting stir crazy and cranky. I am glad I did because it turned out to be a gorgeous day. I took Google glass and we cruised through the lagoon, down Westcliff Drive to the lighthouse and back and I wanted to go down to the wharf and down to the boardwalk to check the progress on the deck they are extending my battery was getting low and they have a huge marathon going on so everywhere I went I got detoured to somewhere else, that wouldn't be so bad but most of the people waved me off where there was a curb and I wasn't about work for me. I tried to go under some caution tape at Depot Park and I don't my head to go under but the tape got caught up on my headrests so somebody had to come and help me. I decided it's best to just go home but I'm glad I got to get out.  I came home and rested for a bit and my aunt and Malia came by to see the Halloween decorations before we took them down. I can't believe how big and adorable Malia is, I haven't seen her for a really long time. We tried to get her to sit on the electrocution guy's lap but she would only do it while sitting on Kelly's lap.  Teresa came by and put me to bed and crept up some Jerusalem artichokes that I got from Santa Cruz local foods, they are in no way related to artichokes and although they were pretty good I was really disappointed… I LOVE artichokes! We did some personal care and I got to take a shower over the bathtub, I can't wait until I can take a bath again. I started making all of my own products because I keep reading how bad all this stuff is for you at last night I started reading the ingredients on the mouthwash, act rinse and toothpaste, there is some nasty ingredients in that stuff that erodes your teeth. I also have been putting lemon and my water and apparently that's not a good idea either some pretty much changing everything. I tried out my new deodorant that Karen, my morning caregiver… She has been making all the stuff for me and I find better ingredients on Pinterest. I know they're saying that a lot of the stuff that is "organic" really isn't, supposedly it is organic by the way they collected isn't, but it seems to be a lot better than the actual products. I use Dr. Bronner's body soap and Karen made me some scrubs, chocolate, watermelon and coconut and they are really great. They leave my skin really soft and a little oily. It's a late in life to start using all this stuff but who knows?

1 comment:

betty said...

Tammie, loved the Halloween pictures; especially your and Robby's costumes! Cute with the pumpkins too; loved the Cone of Shame one :)

Glad you were able to get out and enjoy Halloween at least! Sounded like lots of fun!

We had no trick or treaters, third year in a row! I don't think we are even going to bother to buy candy next year :)