Sunday, March 13, 2011

A tsunami in Santa Cruz?

Monday went by really fast. I took Robby for a cruise down to the wharf and into the boardwalk and back. I was going to go with my aunt down to the public Works Department and find out about what we need to do to get a handicapped parking place in front of my residence, my driveway is just too narrow to get my new van in and out of. Too many things happened and we didn’t get to go. My uncle and aunt did go and pick up a protein drink, it’s actually a really good one and doesn’t taste like medicine. They have a friend that lost over 80 pounds drinking it so I’m going to give it a try. Steve has been staying here, he was here several months ago. He came down to see an old girlfriend who has cancer and he did get to see her a couple of times before she passed away last Saturday, needless to say he’s not doing very well right now. Tuesday after I got up I took Robby for a cruise on the wharf, through the boardwalk and as we started down the Levy I could feel raindrops... the sun was out when I left home. I hung around down on the wharf because I had an appointment for a manicure and pedicure, it’s right above the wharf. The salon that I go to is in a retirement complex, our family has known Claudia for many many years... Claudia is a lady that works in the salon. Because it is a retirement place there is always people that come in forgetting their appointment and coming in late or coming in with a don’t have an appointment, she will never turn anybody away. After we left the salon we went for another cruise through the boardwalk and around the wharf and then came home. My uncle, my aunt, Steve, my mom and I played cribbage and then I went to sleep. The last week or so I have been sleeping really good and it feels awesome, usually I don’t get any sleep all night long. Wednesday morning I took a nice long hot bath, got dressed and got up. My aunt and I went down to the Santa Cruz public works office to see what we need to do to get a residential handicap parking place in front of my house. Unfortunately the gentleman that we needed to talk to was in a meeting all day so I gave us his card and I left him a message when I got home to see if I can schedule an appointment, I would rather talk to him in person than on the phone. I took Robby for a cruise down to the wharf and back, came home and did the standing frame, went to bed and ate dinner. Time to relax for the evening. Thursday was my 16 year anniversary of my spinal cord injury, I can’t believe it was 16 years ago. I got up and took Robby for a really long cruise and then my aunt and I went downtown to the public works department and talk to a gentleman about the residential handicap parking place in front of my house. He took down all of the information and said that they would send somebody out to look around and decide whether they thought it was needed. I came home and Heather was cooking so she asked me something to eat and I watched her cook, it looks just like a dance but tastes so good. Friday I was able to make it up in time to go to the Santa Cruz skilled nursing facility with Cassy and Robby, I have missed the last two weeks. They had a big St. Patrick’s celebration and we all got four leaf clover ears and afforded clover necklace. Robby got his picture taken with three ladies in four leaf clover costumes, he was just thrilled to be surrounded by ladies. after that we went to Cole’s barbecue, I had heard about it before and it was awesome. Then we went to go see Rango and work on Robby’s theater manners, he’s starting to get up and wander around and jump on my lap and that is not acceptable. I think he just gets bored but he needs to learn to be patient. I came home and stood up in the standing frame and then went to bed. For some reason my arms, my shoulders and my neck were really tense so I took a couple of Tylenol PM’s and slept all the way through the night, I felt great the next morning. We had a big tsunami warning around here this morning at 8:45 AM because of the earthquake and the tsunami in Japan. We watched the news really closely and nothing really happened so we turn the channel and Steve came in and said to turn it on Channel 7, the tsunami was tearing up the Santa Cruz harbor. I was kind of nervous all day because I have never seen anything like that and nothing that close to where I live. Saturday night I got up and ate an awesome breakfast, my brother came down the night before and he always makes breakfast. He made blueberry pancakes, fried eggs and bacon. Robby and I took a long cruise over to Ross and I was getting ready to go in to check out what they had when I got a text from Cassy saying that she was already out of school. I told her I would meet her at home so she could take me to Costco and to the world market so Robby and I cruised home. My floor steamer broke so I got a new one at Costco and I got a couple of really cool Easter decorations at world market, I don’t really have very much for Easter. We had about eight people over for dinner and cribbage. My brother made oven fried chicken, mashed potatoes, a salad and corn. Sunday it was really cold and windy outside so I chose to take a nice long hot bath and go back to bed and watched the last season of weeds.

1 comment:

That corgi :) said...

those were great pictures of the waves, Tammie, but I am sure it was scary wondering what the effects would be; down here in the San Diego area, we didn't get much of a wave, if any.

liked the picture of you all in celebration of St. Patrick's Day! Too Cute!

that is nice about the lady who does the nails not turning people away, realizing they might just forget, etc. That is a kind thing I do believe!